God grants His blessings through the operation of faith. It is by grace through faith that He transfers the good news of His will to earth, and it is only by faith. The narrow road is a road of faith.
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. James 1:5 – 8
Why does God want us to believe? Why is the process of believing and receiving so important? We may never know fully on earth but here is one possible suggestion – the process of faith changes us.
The following are required components for a life of faith. Each one is reason enough.
- Sowing and growing the word of hope in our hearts binds us to him and shows us His will
- The vigilance needed to protect and nourish the word in our heart focuses our life in the right direction
- Having God seeds growing in our hearts accomplishes more than we will ever know
- Diligently seeking Him and quietly waiting on Him changes us
- Realizing that we cannot accomplish anything of significance without Him humbles us
- Hearing from God and receiving the answer to our seeking transforms us
- As we stand in the place of His authority and speak his word and His will, we are changed
- Striving to love others and give grace to others so that we may receive the ‘same measure’ changes us
- Having love fill our heart because ‘faith works by love’ changes us
- Waiting in patience changes us
- The obedience necessary for faith changes us
- The honest self-evaluation to make sure we are (still) in the faith changes us
- The continued realization that everything comes from Him protects us and changes us
- Walking in the spirit and practicing hearing from the Holy Spirit changes us
- Patiently waiting in faith, no matter how long it takes, changes us
- Struggling to be obedient in difficult trying times changes us
- Receiving the answer to our faith changes us
And the list goes on and on. God’s desire is that we be ‘perfect and entire (on the inside) and lacking nothing (on the outside).’ Faith is a win-win situation for everybody, except of course, old you know who.